Re: Potential Client/Need Advise

Subject: Re: Potential Client/Need Advise
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 15:59:25 -0400

Bruce Byfield wrote:

If you're going to be a consultant, there's going to be a lot of rejection in your life. I just have to accept it; I don't have to make sense of it.

Reminds me of a great quote.

In the early 1980s I did paste-up, among other things, for a printer who mostly did composition for scholarly and technical books and journals. One job came in that required so little effort I was able to speed-read the book as I pasted it up (and I still made up 60 pages an hour on the job). The author was a guru in the "family therapy" branch of psychology who wrote engagingly. Anyway, in one chapter he was discussing the way he counsels men who are paralyzed in their social interactions by a pathological fear of rejection (not pointing any fingers at tech writers here, just telling a story). He wrote that what he tells these patients is, "If I don't get turned down for sex at least three times a day, I figure I'm not asking often enough." (Of course if he was asking at work, there would be serious ethical questions; but he didn't get into that.)

I can't say I've lived by that maxim in terms of my sex life (and wouldn't say so if it were true); but I've tried to live by it in terms of business rejections, whether trying to make a cash sale or proposing initiatives within an organization.

Dick

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]