Re: Do you voluntarily develop long-term projects on the job?

Subject: Re: Do you voluntarily develop long-term projects on the job?
From: David Tremblay <techwrit -at- mediom -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:28:04 -0400

Hello all,

It's my first intervention on list, please be tolerant with my flaky english...

It's a must to have long term project on the job, and TW should have such because we always need to prove we worth the money they are investing. Also, it's a business good practice to let the employees train themselves. It's also a good practice to have R&D being part of the organizational culture.
Management may not be willing to let you invest time to do those "experiments" so in order to "please" them you must do it without they aknowledgement. That's the "taking risk" skill one should developp and drives the whole capitalistic economy.

Finaly, doing side projects may become a way to expand our expertise beyond writing, and when times come to lay off you might save your a** because you're not only a cost overhead on the product, you prove your part of developments teams.

My 2 cents and have a nice day all...

David Tremblay
Service d'information

Rédaction technique et affaires documentaires
www.redactech.com :: techwrit -at- mediom -dot- com
(418) 647-9344 :: (514) 725-0867