Virtual reality application: ideas for doc?

Subject: Virtual reality application: ideas for doc?
From: John Cornellier <cornellier1 -at- stavanger -dot- oilfield -dot- slb -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 17:09:05 +0200

I'm writing a user guide for a 3D virtual reality system.

In the UI, there's no keyboard nor mouse, but a head tracker, 3D goggles, and a wand/pointer; you don't click and type, rather you walk, point, grab, and draw.

Has anyone worked on such an app, and do do have any tips?

Even if you haven't, do any potential problems spring to mind... or opportunities? I've done the basic stuff (data loading, display, UI controls, etc.); now I want to illustrate some workflows, hopefully graphically.

How can I help the users here?

As far as I know, the only way to do screenshots is to take photographs of "the cave" (the VR environment).

The domain is geophysics; we go into the ground, thousands of feet below the ocean floor, and walk around in the geological structure looking for a good place to drill for oil.

John Cornellier
semicolons: 3