Re: Print-ready Graphics Problem

Subject: Re: Print-ready Graphics Problem
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:22:58 -0700 (PDT)

>>> ...copied a screen using ... ALT + Print Screen
... [saved in] Windows Paint ... [and]Photoshop
Elements ... opened both files in Photoshop ...
Windows Paint was a 96 ppi ... second file was 72 ppi
... both BMP files contained the same number of pixels
... file sizes are identical. <<<

Right. Perfectly normal behavior.

>>> As you move forward with what appear to be
"typical" screen captures, each subsequent program you
use can interpret the "standard" file format
differently. <<<

That's incorrect. The file format is not at issue.

>>> I think this type of exercise demonstrates that
there are pitfalls, and the software you use either
performs the way you expect, or introduces new
properties which must be understood in terms of what
happens downstream in your job flow. <<<

No. This exercise demonstrates a misunderstanding of
physical image size/makeup and dpi. Dpi is an OUTPUT
setting. It has nothing to do with the file format. It
has nothing to do with how many pixels make up the
image. It says "fit x many pixels into a 1-inch space
when printed". That's it.

The reason you saw two different dpi values is because
MS "standardizes" (my emphasis, not theirs) on 96dpi
as a default output setting. Your Adobe product was
apparently set to 72dpi by default. You can change the
defaults in the application's preferences.

And yes, setting a different DPI setting does nothing
to the image's file size. Why? It's a setting; a few
numeric characters in the image format's header that
defines how the image should be treated by either an
output device or another application.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com