Re: Content sharing between Adobe products

Subject: Re: Content sharing between Adobe products
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: Jessica Nealon <jessica_nealon -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 09:35:22 -0400

Jessica Nealon wrote:

I currently have a situation where I maintain
technical specifications on the back of one document
that are also required to be in the user guide - one
is in Adobe PageMaker and the other is in Adobe
FrameMaker. The process is error-prone and I would
like to keep this information in one place but have it
output to two places.

Is there a way to share this information? I am
currently researching Adobe Table 3.0 embedded in
PageMaker. Does anyone have experience with this tool?
Specifically for importing and exporting between Adobe
applications?

The PageMaker info is not in a table but the
FrameMaker info is. Both situations can change is
there is a centralized solution.

Jessica,

1. Do not, under any circumstances or for any purpose, ever install or run Adobe Table. Can I say that any more emphatically? This is a consensus of every expert PageMaker user in the world, nay, the Universe.

2. PageMaker can import data from a database or spreadsheet. This is a little tricky and requires reading the manual, especially because the method changed between 6.5 and 7.0.. But I think you can successfully design a workflow where you maintain the info in, say, an Access database, and then import it into both PM and FM.

3. If you need or want to create tables in PageMaker, there are plenty of good ways to do so. Go to Google Groups Advanced Search. The group you want to search is comp.graphics.apps.pagemaker. Enter Margulis in the author field. Enter table in the word field. There are a couple longish threads with multiple contributors, and you'll learn about more methods than I've ever used.

4. Do not, under any circumstances or for any purpose, ever install or run Adobe Table. Can I say that any more emphatically? This is a consensus of every expert PageMaker user in the world, nay, the Universe.

Dick

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]