Re: Please explain this phrase

Subject: Re: Please explain this phrase
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: John Cornellier <cornellier1 -at- stavanger -dot- oilfield -dot- slb -dot- com>, TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 12:29:18 -0400

John Cornellier <cornellier1 -at- stavanger -dot- oilfield -dot- slb -dot- com> wrote on
08/22/2003 11:24:01 AM:
> Just curious, are any of you in the US or elsewhere using
> the feet & inches system in manufacturing? Eric? Raise your hands.

Well, here at Bombardier (Canada) it can be complicated. Operations are
worldwide with subcontractors across the globe as well. Many of our
drawings have to be supplied to the customer (which for us is always
American). So, we often have bizarrely accurate measurements that
surprisingly convert into perfectly acceptable round metric values. :)

Much of the older machinery in the plants certainly works in ft and in so
there's really not much choice. Many older designs are in ft and in as
they were designed that way but metric starts working it's way in as
components are redesigned/replaced.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer