Re: Please explain this phrase

Subject: Re: Please explain this phrase
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "Oja, W. Kelly" <w -dot- kelly -dot- oja -at- verizon -dot- com>, TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 10:43:22 -0400

"Oja, W. Kelly" <w -dot- kelly -dot- oja -at- verizon -dot- com> wrote on 08/22/2003 10:30:16 AM:

> I did find the whole
> English/Imperial bit interesting though. I would agree with some of
> those who stated that the US system should not be called
> Standard, but
> to an SUV-driving, Happy Meal-eating American... it is and
> always will
> be.

That's what the British thought too. Like it or not, globalisation is
coming to get you too. It used to be that American transit operators could
demand that all hardware be non-metric. Now, they can perhaps get away
with demanding that attaching hardware be non-metric. But many components
now come with stickers proclaiming "METRIC HARDWARE INSIDE".
As more and more standard components are made with metric parts, inch
measurement hardware will become rarer and rarer. And before anyone harps
on about buying from overseas, metric is being used more and more to SELL
overseas.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer