Re: Another tragic case of not reading the manual

Subject: Re: Another tragic case of not reading the manual
From: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:08:53 -0500

I just finished a book, Fast Food America. The entire slaughterhouse industry is full of dangerous jobs such as that. The people performing those jobs in America are ESL and usually don't even read their own language, let alone English, yet they have to slaughter 100 cows an hour and work with sharp instruments, right next to someone else that is weilding a sharp instrument. The accident ratio is huge. A sad, sad state of affairs.

When I worked at a bank creating documentation for their EDS system in 1995 the management wanted the writers (myself and two other women) to sign waivers that basically stated that if the bank was sued because of our documentation then we would not hold the bank liable and would provide our own counsel, etc.

Michele
--
Michele

"I've learned that sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold and a heart to understand." Andy Rooney
www.krautgrrl.com

eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com wrote:

I'm behind John and appalled at Daniel's attitude towards worker safety.
By Daniel's logic, why put any warning signs or safety shields on any
piece of equipment? I you're too stupid to not be near the spinning saw,
the live power, the moving gears, well it's YOUR fault you got injured.
Thankfully that kind of thinking hasn't been too widespread since the
beginning of the industrial revolution when children were used to clean
and clear machinery while it was running.
Under the pressures to perform, workers WILL take shortcuts to speed up,
Managers WILL push them to work faster. That's why signs, shields, and
lockout devices are around. First, safety has to be designed into the
machine. Shields to block access to dangerous areas.