Re: Effective Arguments for Unique Control Names...?

Subject: Re: Effective Arguments for Unique Control Names...?
From: Carol Gilbert <cgilbert -at- cal -dot- berkeley -dot- edu>
To: pdenchfield -at- yahoo -dot- com
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 12:29:09 -0700

The answer to have I ever seen different controls with identical names is unfortunately, Yes! Most of the time when I get my hands on the product, these things are already in. Wherever possible, I lobby to make sure all controls/buttons/menus/etc., are distinctly named. Sometimes my intervention is in time. Whenever possible, try to be a part of the design team and read all specs whenever you can get them. At least get the head of Eng'g to hold some demos along the way so you get some sneak previews. Good luck. You are not being too finicky. If you really want to put some effort into it, pull together an active demonstration meeting and let them make something out of Legos or puzzles following directions that name two different pieces with the SAME name. How far can they get? - Carol Gilbert
===================================
On Tuesday, August 5, 2003, at 11:58 AM, pdenchfield -at- yahoo -dot- com wrote:

Have any of you ever been in this situation?

The team that is responsible for designing the user interface assigned the
same name to two controls (I'll call the controls "C"). Based on their
experience training new users, this team doesn't see any issue with the
identical names because each "C" control is related to the trigger-control
to its left (I'll call them "A" and "B"), as illustrated below.

A ? C
B ? C
<snip>