Neilsen redux

Subject: Neilsen redux
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 14:19:42 -0400

One note of caution: In continuing this discussion, I urge you to focus your
comments on the substance of Nielsen's work rather than attacking Nielsen
himself. Whatever his merits as an expert, you don't want to be caught
libeling someone in a public forum. But some of his arguments are easy
enough to rebut if you're prepared to think through when and why they
work--or don't work.

I think the issue of whether PDF works well in a browser is very different
from whether PDF is a suitable online medium. I'd have to say that even
well-designed PDF tends to be a bit heavy in a browser. But design something
to work exclusively in PDF run off your local hard drive, perhaps after
downloading it from the Web in the first place, and it's a whole different
ballgame. Then, you have full access to all PDF features, including the
ability to design custom interfaces by including various plug-ins.

(try ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca if you get no response)
580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada

"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my
telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my
telephone."--Bjarne Stronstrup (originator of C++ programming language)

ROBOHELP X4 - THE INDUSTRY STANDARD IN HELP AUTHORING
Buy RoboHelp by July 31st and receive a $100 mail-in rebate!
Find out more about RoboHelp X4: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com