Re: Track changes function in Word 2002?

Subject: Re: Track changes function in Word 2002?
From: "T. Miles" <t -dot- a -dot- miles -at- operamail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 23:22:57 +0800

Thanks for your response to my inquiry. I've read several of your online editing articles in Intercom, and they're actually what got me thinking about the different capabilities of the Word 2002 Track Changes version.

Re: I haven't used Word 2002 yet, but have closely followed the debate over its
Re: features and bugs. My understanding is that Microsoft has done considerable
Re: damage to the way revision tracking works.

Are you willing to elaborate briefly on this?

Re: [balloons vs. no balloons] Can't comment from firsthand experience, but my feeling (based on ongoing
Re: discussions in copyediting-l) is that most people are dismayed by the new
Re: approach and much prefer the old approach. Some of this is "version
Re: one-itis" (an inflammatory reaction to a poorly programmed first release),
Re: and some is the normal human resistance to changing what already works well.
Re: But those caveats notwithstanding, my feeling is that many (perhaps most)
Re: editors feel that Word 2002 is a large step backwards.

I've been getting the same impression. I've wondered if most of the dislike for the balloons is, like you wrote, due to normal human resistance to change rather than lack of functionality.

t -dot- a -dot- miles -at- operamail -dot- com

http://www.operamail.com
Get OperaMail Premium today - USD 29.99/year