RE: The saga ended (or is it continuing? (was Re: A sticky contractor situation: no pay yet?)

Subject: RE: The saga ended (or is it continuing? (was Re: A sticky contractor situation: no pay yet?)
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:19:58 -0400

Chuck (and all),

I've been following this thread and its parent, and I have to wonder what
you're expecting a contract gig to be like. I don't want you or anyone to
take this the wrong way, but those are the breaks when you are
self-employed. You have to roll with the worst to get to the good stuff.

The situation I quoted below is fairly common. Rather than get annoyed by
it, look at it this way: more work for you, and you have the main part
documented. All you need to do is modify how it fits into the GUI.

Contract assignments are a gamble. Sometimes you get a client who knows what
they want and plan accordingly, and other times you get tossed in the middle
of a fuster cluck. In either case, and in all between, you have to keep a
level head and do the work you agreed to do. If it takes you twice as long
due to the client being a little wacky, well, bill the time and thank them
for their business.

And definitely play it civil when payments don't arrive on time. As annoying
as it is, late payment is fairly common in the business world. The key, as
many have pointed out, is to be persistent yet civil. That will ensure you
get paid AND keep your bridges flame-free.

Regards,

Bill Swallow
wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com