Re: The saga ended (or is it continuing? (was Re: A sticky contractor situation: no pay yet?)

Subject: Re: The saga ended (or is it continuing? (was Re: A sticky contractor situation: no pay yet?)
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:45:04 -0700

<eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com> wrote in message
news:206794 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-
> "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com> wrote on 07/21/2003 12:43:51 PM:
>
> > When I do hand him the envelope (never opened), I do plan on mentioning
> that
> > fact, and see what the response it.
>
> Why on Earth would you want to do that? If you want to continue working
> for this client, I'd just hand the envelope back a keep my mouth shut. All
> that pointing out the postmark and your distrust is going to do is sour
> the relationship.
> If they are guilty as you suspect, your persistence this time may have put
> them on-track to improving the situation. Pointing out your suspicions and
> your "proof" will possibly just make the client defensive which will
> ultimately result in them being hostile towards you.
> If they are not guilty of any offence, pointing out the problem will only
> make them be wary of you. They'll be wondering why you're so suspicious.
> Take the high road and just keep quiet. If you want to CYA and track
> problems for future reference, keep a photocopy of the envelope. Then if
> the client is habitually late and you need to prove it, you have the
> evidence.

Several people repeated this advice in various forms. To them, and to others
who thought the same way, I stand chagrined at not seeing this most sensical
point of view myself. And I also owe my thanks, as always, to the wisdom in
this group.

Meanwhile, I'm having even more fun with the client, who moves features to
new areas on the application ( a web application), I document them, them
moves the part of the fetures elsewhere. At least I'm getting told about it
now.....

Chuck Martin

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com