Re: Learning to code on the cheap

Subject: Re: Learning to code on the cheap
From: jenny_berger -at- fairfieldresidential -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:19:12 -0500

If you're looking for the dead-on basics (and I really mean *basic*) of
programming, then you'd probably enjoy "The Absolute Beginner's Guide to
Programming." I read this a year or so ago when I wanted a solid
conceptual intro to programming -- it was dated, but it was very easy to
read and understand.

Jenny Berger
Technical Writer
Information Systems
Fairfield Residential

Karen Casemier <karen -dot- casemier -at- provia -dot- com>
Sent by: bounce-techwr-l-115343 -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
07/16/2003 12:18 PM
Please respond to Karen Casemier

To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
cc:
Subject: Learning to code on the cheap

I don't want to become a coder, but I'd like to build up my technical
knowledge so I can become more self-sufficient. I would do a google
search,
but I'm not quite sure where to start: do I start by trying to build a
general understanding of programming, or do I just jump and try and learn
language (currently I'm working in C++, but that will be changing - and
other products are written in other languages). I'd like to hear from
other
technical writers who work at this level about how they gained the
knowledge
they needed. Online resources, books, specific training - whatever. Cheap
or
free is best, but if there is a great course out there that can really get
me well started, I might be able to get it approved.

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com