RE: ADMIN: Civility and content

Subject: RE: ADMIN: Civility and content
From: DaveC <peninsula -at- covad -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 15:39:53 -0700

If *civility* (or lack thereof) is the issue, address *that*. Addressing civility with posting limits is like addressing teen pregnancy with teacups.

Police (oh don't we hate that word!) the uncivil with banishment. It won't take long before civility returns post-haste! I speak from experience -- not having been banished, but belonging to a list that has rules that are not fascist, yet effective. Three or four members get bounced off the list annually, and everything goes smoothly. There are many off-topic contributions, which are frequently passionate, but remain civil.

I personally think that frivolous commenting can be dealt with on an individual basis with one's Delete key. It's the nature of a list to have to wade through subject lines (don't open anything you're not willing to swallow it). Personally, I use filters on those persons whose contributions are less-than-wise, thereby not having to decide to open their missives at all.

Dave

-=-=-=-

The 1-post/day limit has one benefit: it forces people to think before
speaking.

This is a good thing. This is a very good thing.

But that's me.

George

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com