Follow-up: organizing DTD <element> and interface information

Subject: Follow-up: organizing DTD <element> and interface information
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 00:30:36 -0700

A couple of weeks ago I asked for information on embedding XML tag
information in screen documentation. Thanks to all those on- and
off-list for your great advice. Thought I'd share the solution I came up
with.

Short term (which turned out to be a few hours), I followed each screen
element with its <element> tag. Then I created a separate, 2-level index
using cross-posting just for the XML elements that attempts to show
parent/child relationships. Developers can see the screen context in the
screen section or just look up by element.

Medium term (middle of next week), I've added the parent/child
relationships to the screen section, after running it by a couple of
programmers who emphasized that they like context. I've kept the index,
which is cited as very helpful.

Long term (a couple of months), I will be documenting the DTD or XSD.
Full-blown reference material, to be modeled on Docbook or similar XSD
documentation. Will also be keeping and improving if I can the
contextual documentation.

I have over the course of the last week been able to glean some more
details about what the customer intends to do with the information, so I
am no longer operating in complete darkness. Thanks again to the list
for being my flashlight whilst I groped for the switch!

Lisa