RE: Keep Track of Experience

Subject: RE: Keep Track of Experience
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 07:42:39 -0700 (PDT)

-------------------------
Edwin Wurster asks about creating a database of experience with XML.
-------------------------

Sorry for chiming in late on this.

I haven't done this, but I like the idea and I love xml. It would be pretty easy to use xml to create your database, then design an xsl to pick the info you want from it. As with any project with xml, the devil is in the planning. So, you would want to define elements and attributes that would make it easy. You could then use xlinks to open all of your samples. You could approach the output in one of two ways, either output some other format using something from here http://xml.apache.org/ , or use IE to view the transformed xml (if you're going electronic). I suggest IE because Netscape doesn't seem to have the same level of support for xml as IE does. :-(

I know you initially asked about maintaining a database, but have you thought about using RoboHelp and conditional tags to create a customized resume? Each of your bits of experience could be a separate topic, and then you could just include whichever topic you needed. Again, that would be pretty slick if you were creating something that was just for online viewing. Hmmm. Maybe I'll do that for me! :-)

"And in the morning, I'm makin waffles." ~ Donkey
Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com