Re: Has anyone reviewed or edited using PDF marked up by Acrobat tools?

Subject: Re: Has anyone reviewed or edited using PDF marked up by Acrobat tools?
From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 17:23:34 -0700

The usually outrageously sensible Geoff Hart has responded to a query from me by answering the wrong question. <grin>

Geoff,
Your suggestions are good advice, but they are rather like answering someone's question about Word by saying "change to FrameMaker" -- not really relevant. My question wasn't whether PDF is the best way to do it, or even a good way to do it, but rather how to edit efficiently using PDF as the medium. Besides, given the enthusiastic response from some others on this list, obviously PDF works well for some people.

Further down in your note, you seem to be suggesting a combination of RTF (for the text) and PDF (for the diagrams). That seems like a potentially useful way to work electronic editing into a department workflow, at least in some situations, for example when the editing is done before page layout (as occurs with most commercial publishers, in contrast to many software development companies).

And lastly,

<<(3) the editor is doing final copy proofreading of material to be
printed.>>

If they truly mean "proofing", the editing is likely to be light and PDF is
a good solution.

Yes, I truly meant "proofing", the stage where you check that the final page breaks are okay and the footers haven't become garbled, and no cross-reference errors have crept in, and that sort of stuff -- because the PDF itself is what's going to the repro shop for printing or is itself being distributed as the deliverable. I often do that sort of proofing on material I have previously edited properly.

In my original note I failed to mention one other scenario: the editor makes a few last-minute changes _to the PDF itself_ instead of sending the edits back to the writer to incorporate them and regenerate the PDF. I often do those last-minute changes myself, because I mostly deal with clients who aren't professional writers but rather engineers and other professionals, and that's one of the things they want from me.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com