Re: UML

Subject: Re: UML
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 13:11:41 -0400

Beth Agnew <Beth -dot- Agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca> wrote:

>UML with Rational Rose was
>supposed to be a great aid to development, and it was -- for the
>developers. On the documentation side, it would have been very helpful
>to the writers, except that the developers were not putting IN the
>comments we needed so we still had to interview them anyway. Apart from
>that, it was indeed "fun".

<ancient-history>

About five years ago, when we were just getting the company off the ground, our new analyst/architect-type person, who shared a large office with a senior developer and me, persuaded the development VP to purchase the whole rational suite. One day she ran across some glitch in one of the products, having to do with assembling a Word document as output from the database. So she went to Rational's site to research the issue, and she found the tech note that was supposed to help her resolve the problem.

Lemme tell ya, the three of us together, with a mean IQ of maybe 150, could not make sense of that tech note. Maybe Rational's tech writing staff were all out at an STC convention or something when the problem first arose and some developer wrote that note, and maybe the rest of their documentation is crystal clear; but let's just say that confidence was not inspired.

I hope the training John signed up for is better written and edited.

</ancient-history>

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com