Re: frustrated

Subject: Re: frustrated
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:23:09 -0500

And not every Master's program requiring a thesis does the person getting the degree write the thesis.

My father was a brilliant man, but he couldn't write a coherent sentence if he had to. He did all the research, wrote out what he wanted the thesis to say, my mother, the journalism major did the actual writing. Papa read and edited it for clarity and accuracy. I was in high school when he got it; the thesis was a family project. I remember sorting note cards for the bibliography.

My own Master's program allowed taking 36 course hours or 30 and a thesis. Now, it so happens I can write very well, but it took half a nanosecond for me to decide on the 36 course hours. Who in their right mind wants to research a library science topic for a thesis? I'll take the extra six hours, thank you very much!

Jo Byrd

Diane Boos wrote:

Aren't "why are tech writers need" discussions with some co-workers fun?

First, your co-worker made a serious false assumption. "My co-worker expressed that most R&D
scientists can write good procedures themselves, because they had to have been able to write a good thesis for their masters or what have you."

NOT SO! Not every Master's program requires a thesis. Some allow internships or master's projects instead.

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com