Re: plain vanilla tech writers

Subject: Re: plain vanilla tech writers
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:43:11 -0700 (PDT)

> Contractors often work in different technologies,
> and with different
> products. It's hard to be an expert in that case.
>
> I'm not sure I'd call it "plain Vanilla", but it's
> hard to be an SME
> if you spend six months with NAS products, eight
> months on SANs, and
> three months editing IT reports, all for different
> companies. I'm
> certainly *familiar* with these technologies - and
> with others which
> often dovetail in unique ways, but I'm no SME.

Good point. And I have to qualify my statements by
saying I too was a newbie at nearly every company I
worked for, initially. But, prior to starting a job or
even taking an interview, I do my homework on the
industry and the company, so I know what I'm getting
myself into before immersing myself neck-deep in work.
Plus, and most important, I never stop doing my
homework. If it's the company's business, then it's my
business too.

> I will admit to having a ton of the "For Dummies"
> books on my
> shelf... useful for coming up to speed in a newer
> contract.

They've saved me a time or three as well.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sbc.yahoo.com

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com