Antwort: plain vanilla tech writers

Subject: Antwort: plain vanilla tech writers
From: Kerstin -dot- Molthagen -at- etas -dot- de
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 17:20:41 +0200

Hi!

GooberWriter wrote:

>I don't understand how you can be a "plain vanilla"
>technical writer and NOT be a recent college grad.
You seem to be answering someone's posting. Which posting, and who is
"you"?

>[...] as a technical writer you should be a SME with
>regard to your company's products and market industry.
>Otherwise, how are you writing adequate documentation?
>Heck, in the past week alone I've found 5 bugs missed
>by QA, and have actively participated in discussions
>that will define the direction of one of my employer's
>products...
I have a degree in astrophysics, and when I started my current position I
had heard next to nothing about the company's market industry and products.
But I'm a quick learner and my first task was to complete a nearly complete
revision of the software product documentation I have dealt with ever
since. Plus, I have very helpful colleagues who took (and still take) the
time to answer my questions.
Now, after 4 years, I know the product quite well, I have found many errors
- especcially in seldom used parts of the product - no one else has found.

Newbies should be given the chance to _become_ SMEs...

Ciao,
Kerstin

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com