Re: Interviewing "under the hood"?

Subject: Re: Interviewing "under the hood"?
From: Kirsten Zerbinis <salmonzerbinis -at- rogers -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:17:54 -0400

Yeah, that's the hair in the oatmeal. The people on the front lines of deciding who is worthy to fondle their fonts, wrangle their tools, and interpret all that tech are often completely incapable of doing more than double-clicking the little file icon inside the message, inside their copy of Outlook.

I got clever. I send PDFs, because I have invested considerable fondling in my own resume and cover page, and I want it to look good when the hiring manager gets it. And I write simple, easy-to-follow instructions on how to download and install Acrobat Reader, and then open my PDF file. Little free sample of what I can do, and a little education for the technically unknowledgeable.

I always make sure to put a little "This is just in case you don't already know" thing, too, because I don't want to make the technically inept feel embarrassed, and I *really* don't want the technically ept to feel patronized.

Kirsten Zerbinis
London Ontario

On Wednesday, June 25, 2003, at 11:53 AM, Jo Francis Byrd wrote:

You'd be amazed, Adrienne, how many people haven't a clue as to what a pdf is! I tried sending my resume to agencies in a pdf (in an effort to prevent them from changing and reformatting it) and they had NO clue how to open it. Telling them they needed Acrobat Reader went straight over their heads.

Chalked it up to a great idea that Just Didn't Work.

Jo Byrd

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com