Re: How Dead is Interleaf/QuickSilver?

Subject: Re: How Dead is Interleaf/QuickSilver?
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 12:39:42 -0400

"Robert Plamondon" <robert -at- plamondon -dot- com>wrote:

>They changed the name to QuickSilver for no apparent reason,

Interleaf (the company) sold out to Broadvision, which renamed the product for their own inscrutable reasons.

but as far as I
>can tell, it's still much the same. (Where *do* they come up with these
>names? The connotations of "quicksilver" -- that is, "mercurial" -- are
>wildly insanely inappropriate for a high-end DTP system.)

Oh, I dunno. Interleaf (the company) was about as mercurial as they get, changing the pricing model and support model about every two weeks for the entire time they were in existence, it seems to me.

>In correspondence with other writers, we often wax nostalgic about our good
>old Interleaf days, when we weren't forced to use blunt instruments like
>Word and Frame. (Not that Interleaf wasn't annoying, but it was annoying on
>a higher plane than the competition.)
>
>QuickSilver is obviously still around, though, even though I don't know of
>anyone in the semiconductor industry who still uses it. Are there still
>pockets of usage here and there?

There are still pockets of usage here and there. Your best resource is comp.text.interleaf, which gets a bare trickle of traffic but which has good quality information.

>I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to promote myself as an Interleaf guru
>(which I am), or whether that's like saying I'm great at gaslights and
>button shoes.

The latter. I had the informal title of Interleaf guru at my last job (ending in 1998), and I barely mention it anymore.

If there are any substantial pockets left, I would guess they are in defense contracting, which isn't my bag.

Dick

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com