Re: interviewing "under the hood"

Subject: Re: interviewing "under the hood"
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 13:47:46 -0700 (PDT)

dan_roberts -at- adp -dot- com wrote:
> I'm a bit of a "under the hood" kinda guy - sloppy or
> inefficient HTML, manual formatting in Word, that sort
> of thing - drives me nuts. Therefore, when I interview
> candidates, I'd like to see the code underneath the
> writing samples they provide.

Sounds like a requirement... did you list this in the job description
they responded to? Otherwise you are sort of blindsiding them. My
portfolio has lots of sloppy code under the hood, because it wasn't a
priority for that job. On the other hand, I also have valid XHTML in my
portfolio, because it *was* a priority for that job.

Sloppy or inefficient is subjective, and highly contextual; are you
sure you aren't just imposing arbitrary preferences?

Make sure you know what you are evaluating... For example, if you ask a
real geek for a Word resume you will probably get an .rtf generated
from something like LaTeX or XSLT, with manual formatting applied and
Normal as the only style.

Anyway, it's nice that you're hiring :-)

Mike O.

http://sbc.yahoo.com

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com