Barriers to entry (was RE: Boeing Tech Pubs going offshore? (long )

Subject: Barriers to entry (was RE: Boeing Tech Pubs going offshore? (long )
From: MList -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:54:21 -0400

Well, it's a temptation that only integrity can resist:
to get somewhere first and get a good thing going
and then pull up the rope ladder and thumb your nose at all
the "foreigners" (often from the same countries that your
parents called home) who are trying to follow behind and
grow for themselves what you did for yourself.
Oh, wait.
That's not it. It's not the first couple of generations
that achieve ungenerosity. It's the later ones, who have
the abundance handed to them, who erect the walls.

Or, to tie to related initiative, the creation of guild-like
barriers-to-entry can be a characteristic not of the pioneers
in an industry, but to those who entered when it was largely
built and wanted to ensure their level of comfort and protection,
and maybe supplement their incomes with the entry fees from
the upcoming wannabees.

I'm not saying that anybody is doing the latter, I'd just
like them to keep not doing it.

/kevin

Chris [mailto:cud -at- telecable -dot- es] asked:
> Are you saying India and Chile have a right to resent the US, then?
[...]

> > The only thing I could see as a legitimate source of resentment
> > would be if the respective countries (emerging as hotbeds of
> > tech-writing) were to throw up arbitrary/artificial barriers
> > to us former top-dawgs emigrating and getting employed.

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com