Re: Sexist Language Revisited

Subject: Re: Sexist Language Revisited
From: Michael Lessin <redmiguel -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 10:30:05 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Tony,

With readers in mind and not our consciences, I think "he" is best but
you could add a caveat in Welcome conventions noting the use of male
pronoun as a language convention and not gender bias.

I have read many baby books recently with he one chapter she next or
some other more confusing mix and I find it disconcerting when reading.

That's just non-PC me.

-Michael

--- tgr -at- lanminds -dot- com wrote:
> This is probably old-hat to many people, but I have an issue with
> sexist
> language in the supplement I am writing. I am having trouble using a
> personal pronoun other than "he" when referring to a trucker. I know
> most
> of them are probably of the male persuasion, but there is no reason a
> woman
> couldn't drive a truck (if she were so inclined). Now, the wisdom of
> allowing a woman behind the wheel of a truck aside ;^), how should I
> refer
> to a trucker without repeating "the trucker" each time? I thought of
> s/he,
> but it just didn't look very good. Any suggestions?
>
> - t
>

> The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to
> escape
> finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
>
> - Marcus Aurelius Antoninus, Roman ruler, philosopher, author

=====
Michael Lessin Consulting
118 Laurel Drive, Suite B
Fairfax CA 94930

Tel: 415.457.2111
Email: redmiguel -at- yahoo -dot- com

http://sbc.yahoo.com

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com