RE: Hit the road

Subject: RE: Hit the road
From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 19:41:48 +1000

Rebecca Stevenson wrote,

Didn't one of our Australian brethren do this a couple of years ago?

Yes, I did, but I wasn't seriously attempting to work for other people, because I wasn't interested in parking anywhere near one of the major cities where work might be available, and telecommuting work had dried up by that point. I wrote several of my books, and did some work for a paying client, from the dining table in the motorhome. The latter was something of a challenge, as the client contacted me while I was several days' drive from the nearest city, so I ended up in a very pleasant campground, downloading large files over a mobile (cell) phone link (14.4K) and uploading them again a few days later. The client, who had previously learned to start an email conversation with "what country are you in now," was intrigued and delighted.

Since then, we have sold the motorhome. We had too many problems with it, and no skill or interest in being a diesel mechanic. I still like the idea, and suspect it would work a lot better in the USA than in Australia. This year we'll be travelling in a 4WD and staying in motels or campgound cabins. I might even, occasionally, have the luxury of a phone line to which I can connect a 56K modem!

Good thing I'm not trying to make a living this way. I'll be interested to see if my "Seniors Business Card" is good for discounts in many outback places <grin>. I can't believe I turned 60 a few months ago!

...by the time I'm retirement age ... they might have invented some means to fit our library in a motor home. :-)

We've been collecting CDs of as much of our library as we can. A surprisingly large number of books are available on CD, or in downloadable forms that can be burnt onto a CD.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/
Avalook at Australia Travel site http://www.avalook.com.au/

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.
FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com