Re: What Would You Do with a Writer WHO TRIES TO GET YOU FIRED? (WAS: What Would You Do with a Writer Who Can't Write?

Subject: Re: What Would You Do with a Writer WHO TRIES TO GET YOU FIRED? (WAS: What Would You Do with a Writer Who Can't Write?
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 08:32:59 -0700 (PDT)

Stephen Gillespie asked:

> What do you people think I should do with a colleague (Bozo) who
> had done his best to discredit my competency and work ethic, would
> like nothing better than to see me gone?

Tell it to the Marines :-)

I totally sympathize with your story, in fact I have lived through it
once -- but just once. That experience taught me never to go on the
offensive. It's kind of fun to go on the warpath, especially when you
are right, but it never works. And defensiveness is even worse.

He who gets angriest is the loser. Unless you are a well-connected
manager, or you enjoy some other protected status.

The best offense is a big yawn.

> his attitude was increasingly uncooperative, even hostile,

Attitudes alone can't hurt you. His attitude is his problem not your
problem. Just keep working and tune out your perception of his
attitude.

If his work is bad, then it will eventually bite him. But if his work
is good, then what's the problem? Just ignore his bad vibes and be glad
you have competent co-workers.

> as evidenced by 'snippy' replies to emails (about work).

Just stop sending email to this guy, and you won't get any more snippy