RE: What Would You Do with a Writer Who Can't Write?

Subject: RE: What Would You Do with a Writer Who Can't Write?
From: "Dan Glovier" <dglovier -at- edline -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 08:41:39 -0500

> I don't want to go behind his back, and I don't want to show up in a
> manager's office with a stack of evidence. I should mention that
there is
> no documentation manager; we're managed by an overtasked development
> manager
> who thinks technical writers just "pretty up" things. (His words.)

If you were a permanent employee and intended on staying at this job for
a while, it would obviously be a totally different scenario.

But it's not.

You're a contractor who (I assume) has no designs on going permanent
with this company. Your job is to do the job they pay you to do.

Just make sure that they know who is doing what work, that you're
meeting your deadlines, and that the "lacking" writer's work is his own.
If there's ever a disagreement on style or content, state your case,
provide the backing data, and hope for the best. If the decision goes
against you, deliver what they ask, not what you think they need. Sadly,
that is our job in this scenario.

I know your thoughts and concerns are coming from the best of places,
and that's admirable. If only more writers had your drive and pride of
ownership...

But you are getting paid to do a job. Getting involved politically, even
if your intentions are coming from a good place, is not part of that.

-Dan Glovier

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires
4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com