RE: Certification is absurd

Subject: RE: Certification is absurd
From: "Dan Glovier" <dglovier -at- edline -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 08:56:01 -0500

Bruce sed:

> Dan Glovier wrote:
>
> >There are classes to help you score better in the SAT, MCSE, MCAT,
YMCA,
> >the WWE, and a handful of other tests.
> >
> These classes exist because of the form of the tests. If certification
> was designed so that candidates would have to demonstrate their
ability
> in practical circumstances, then all that prep classes could do would
be
> to help candidates learn to apply their abilities. And that would
result
> in better writers, wouldn't it?

As I thought about this question, I realized I was hungry and had a
Balance Bar. Mocha Chip ... mmmmm ...

As I was getting my morning dose of chocolatey goodness, a synapse
finally fired off and this random thought danced across my muddled mind:

Instead of having one certification, why not have several?

One hurdle that pops up is that, with the disparate knowledge and
environments we need to be familiar with in order to strive as tech
writers, it is very hard to produce something that applies to all.

Maybe we need to revise the thought and devise "somethings" as opposed
to "something"?

That way, you can then not only demonstrate your knowledge of some
exceedingly generic skill set (process information, present it in a
logical fashion, adherence to some yet unnamed and undefined set of
standards, etc.), but a knowledge of the accompanying technology.

Ferinstances, you could have a Certification of Technical Writing for
C++, or Certification of Technical Writing for SQL, etc.

Thanks,
Dan Glovier

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com