Metrics (oh no, not again)

Subject: Metrics (oh no, not again)
From: dan_roberts -at- adp -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:34:28 -0600

My company is having a big push for CMMI compliance, and as part of that,
for business-related metrics (things like, "how long did it take an
analyst to get a spec out" or "how many bugs were reported in development"
or "how many bugs were reported by the client").

As part of that effort, our doc group needs to determine our own
business-related metrics. (No, I'm not looking to rehash the pages/day
type of metrics, so let's not go that route.) Right now, the only 2 good
metrics I'm coming up with is (1) how often did we hit our target delivery
dates, for the various pieces of doc we deliver, and (2) how many requests
for revised/improved doc did we receive/deliver.

I could rig up fake metrics - how many new features did we document per
release - why, 100% of course! how many did we get into user guides - why,
100%! And into online help - you got it, 100% But stuff like that doesn't
indicate where we need to grow and improve.

So, my question is: For those of you that *do* use business-related
metrics, can you share the types of measurements that you do collect and
use? Any constructive ideas would be greatly appreciated.

dar

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires
4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com