Documenting overloaded functions

Subject: Documenting overloaded functions
From: Rowena Hart <rowena_hart -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 10:07:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I'm trying to document a few classes for some
object-oriented code. I've run into a real
head-scratcher: how do I document overloaded
functions?

I've looked at some documentation for .NET classes and
it seems like they document the overloaded functions
separately based on data type, i.e. Func(object),
Func(char), Func(int).

Is this the "standard" way to document overloaded
functions? It seems very repetitive/verbose to me. Is
there a simpler way to document overloaded functions
that would still allow programmers to quickly access
the info they need?

Word of warning: I'm not a programmer, but I have
enough programming knowledge to be dangerous to myself
and to others. Very specific answers with examples
would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rowena

http://search.yahoo.com

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires
4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com