Re: Why are companies now requiring techical writer candidates to be SMEs?

Subject: Re: Why are companies now requiring techical writer candidates to be SMEs?
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 05:02:49 -0700 (PDT)

Chuck Martin wrote:
> It seems that many job postings for technical writers are listing
> as job requirements (not desired skills) that the candidate be an
> SME in that company's particular application...
>
> Rather that bleat on how unfair it all seems (and allow certain
> list denizens to seize on that and have a field day), I'm looking
> for strategies to compete with limits such as these. In the example
> I cited above, I know I'd be an excellent match, skills-wise and
> tools-wise, but I've never documented voice self-service
applications.

Thank you Chuck for your very brave post - here are my thoughts.

They asked for someone who is a great tech writer AND has voice app
experience. If they are serious about both requirements, there may not
be a lot of qualified applicants. GREAT tech writers are probably
already employed and might not apply for this job. So the pool of
applicants meeting all the criteria might be smaller than you (and
they) think.

It is entirely possible they might not find someone who meets both
requirements. They may just have to settle for a great tech writer who
can quickly adapt to the new technology. In this case, get in there and
start selling yourself. It might take a few weeks, but once they get
frustrated with the lack of response to their impossible requirements,
then they start listening to your pitch. I have gotten at least one gig
in this scenario. (I'd leave out the 'deliberate ignorance' part,
though).

On the other hand, maybe they are not really serious about the great
tech writer requirement. Maybe what they really want is the "best
available tech writer" who also has voice app experience. In this case
you have less of a chance, since they will be screening you out early.

Hey, if it makes you feel better, there are also probably a ton of
unemployed voice-application programmers who are P.O.'d they can't get
this job because they don't have writing experience.

Mike O.

http://search.yahoo.com

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com