Bold text in man pages

Subject: Bold text in man pages
From: <mcollier -at- maryland -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 20:47:08 -0400 (EDT)

Anyone know why words in bold text print out with duplicate characters
when the man page is exported to a text file, and what can be done about
it?

For example when I do "man ssh > ssh.txt" and open the file in BBEdit or
TextEdit (Mac OS X) bold words come out as "NNAAMMEE",
"SSYYNNOOPPSSIISS", etc.

If this just happened in heading words it would not be too annoying, but
the man page format uses bold for commands, etc. where you need to know
what the literal string is.

Could someone else try this and let me know if anything similar hapens on
your system, and let me know the OS, application, and printer type used
(I'm using an HP Deskjet 5550)? (Mac OS X is BSD-based UNIX, if that
matters).

thanks,

Michael

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l/