Re: Who cares about ethics?

Subject: Re: Who cares about ethics?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 14:52:41 -0700

Keri Morgret wrote:

When I try to put the screenshot in my documentation, even cropped as closely to the edges as I can, I need to shrink it to fit it to the page - and the text is sometimes unreadable. [snip] I personally feel this is ethical - I'm not hiding any content, and I'm making the documentation more usable to the end reader.

I'm curious: where do you think the possibility of an ethical lapse comes? Your motivation isn't to mislead, and, as the representative of your company, you have the right to present its intellectual property in any way that's approved by the company.

However, if you are worried about some lapse, why not include a note that some screen shots are doctored in the early part of the manual?

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"And if you think the pen is mightier than the gun,
I tell you, friend, that you're dreaming
'Cuz the countdown has begun;
We're having fun
Down on Airstrip One."
- Attila the Stockbroker