RE: Who cares about ethics?

Subject: RE: Who cares about ethics?
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:44:49 -0700 (PDT)

--- eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com wrote:

> But ethics only comes into the equation if those activities are interferring
> with your expected productivity and your hiding the cause/making up excuses.

Would everyone agree with that? I suspect not. We can argue about whether or not an
email list is a resource we use to do our jobs better, but that still leaves open
the question of the time spent on it that might otherwise be productively employed
for the purpose intended. I don't have to be making excuses for my lack of
productivity to have it be an ethical question. The plain fact is that I don't have
a computer on my desk at work so that I can read or answer emails that are not
directly related to my job or so that I can use the Internet, tying up valuable
company bandwidth. My relative productivity is less the issue than what is ethically
correct.

I suspect that many (most? all?) of us work in environments where personal use of
computers, networks, and internet connections is accepted so long as it doesn't
interfere with productivity (too much). Still, the ethical question remains: is it
ethical to do something simply because it is allowed or because no one is stopping me?

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com
http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 03/11/2003
--Don't take yourself too seriously; nobody else does.--
(thanks to Bill Sullivan for the inspiration <g>)

http://tax.yahoo.com

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com