RE: Who cares about ethics?

Subject: RE: Who cares about ethics?
From: Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 08:51:35 -0700 (PDT)

Well, they consider family history and previous
medical conditions, also, don't they? I mean, let's
say you were really sick as a kid--not your fault, you
didn't smoke after all. That follows you
insurance-wise forever, even at your job, and even if
the previous condition is forever gone.

So, should we not hire people who had and were cured
of, for example, lung, heart, or cancer illnesses as
children. Or, are we just focusing on those who make a
choice to do something risky in their personal time,
as sort of a punishment?

So, if someone is an avid rock-climber on the
weekends, we should consider not hiring them because
of the chances they'll actually use short-term
disability for a climbing injury?

I agree, though, am pushing this question to the
limits, it's not quite ridiculous I would argue, but I
see your point: smoking is less healthy than not
smoking, even if done outside of work it tends to be
unhealthy for a majority of those who do it, and
because of that lifestyle choice, people should not be
hired. I have never smoked, so I guess that works for
me.

Cheers,

Sean

--- eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com wrote:

> Considering that smoking is one of the few ABSOLUTE
> determinations about life
> and health insurance. Besides, for insurability
> purposes the others are factors
> if you are over-stressed, over weight, high blood
> pressure.

> Sean, your argument is rediculous.
>
> Eric L. Dunn

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/