Re: YOU are responsible, even when YOU are not to blame

Subject: Re: YOU are responsible, even when YOU are not to blame
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 19:26:18 +0200

So there is a error after the docs are done. If you wrote the docs, you're
still responsible for fixing it.

Yes, of course, if the document is my job. However, I am not resposible for the introduction of the error (or the prevention thereof). And if you look back at the start of this discussion, this is precisely the case that had been described: An error that likely was introduced outside of the realm of control of a writer and couldn't have been fixed by him or her (given that no fixes to printed books are possible before the next printing).

In contrast, you (Jan) seem determined to support those who would point fingers
and whine about how they aren't at fault when such a error is discovered, which
is utterly unprofessional behavior.

Whew, another meta-argument. I have no idea which of my statements gave you that impression, perhaps you care to explain so that I can express myself more clearly in the future. However, to set the record straight: I do not now people such as you describe, and I would not support the behaviour that you describe in other people.

Furthermore, I do not think that anybody has argued that a writer has
no responsibility for the contents of their documents. It has only been
pointed out that there are limits beyond which the responsibility
reasonably must rest with others.

Yes, and those limits are closely tied to the level of professionalism a writer
assumes.

So we agree that there are limits to the responsibility of a writer. Excellent, because that was the point I tried to make from the beginning.

Once more, the entire discussion seems a tad overdone in retrospect.

Regards
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 8179 9307-12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de

Purchase RoboHelp X3 in April and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com