RE: Responsibility, blame, managers, and getting the job done

Subject: RE: Responsibility, blame, managers, and getting the job done
From: "Dan Glovier" <dglovier -at- edline -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 09:23:20 -0500

Keith sed:

> I'm with Amy. And Kat. And Andrew. Hell, I'm with so many people it's
> getting crowded in here. <g> It's OUR job to get the info we need.
Not
> the
> manager's. Not the developers. Ours.

Yup. I've had many other jobs where working around the normal avenues
was the only way to get stuff done. At the YMCA, I worked with other
departments to ensure that we met the needs of our members, despite what
management tried to do. At a machine shop, I worked with all kinds of
groups to make sure our demo room (it displayed the latest and greatest
to show potential clients) was up to speed and working perfectly. This
has been normal fare throughout my career. Is this perfect? Nope, it
sure isn't. But it's what was needed to get the job done properly.

I would like to point out one thing...

I have years of fighting the good fight under my belt, but at some point
you have to tap out and call it a day. At my last position I had a hard
time getting anything done. Between shifting priorities, shifting
personnel, and shifting requirements, it was quite the challenge. But I
thought I could lick it.

And I did!

At least for a bit.

I finally did produce some extremely useful documentation that
alleviated many issues with one of our biggest (internal) customers.
Yay, me! But I think you can see what's coming down Fifth Avenue ... my
manager made some changes and that avenue was removed as an option.

Not good times.

But it was my choice to either find new ways to stay productive or move
on. Even though I was working with great people, I chose to move on. If
you think you're in a situation similar to this, I suggest you begin
your search.

Otherwise, it's our responsibility to, well, be responsible.

-Dan Glovier

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com