DocBook "calloutlist" element

Subject: DocBook "calloutlist" element
From: Rowena Hart <rowena_hart -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 08:33:15 -0800 (PST)

Hi everyone,

We're converting to XML and I'm in the process of
working on a "proof of concept" project with a
developer. The first step on my part is to create an
XML file containing all possible elements and
attributes that we might use.

One of the things that is confusing is the calloutlist
element in the DocBook DTD. This element is
automatically inserted whenever I add a chapter or
section element. I've read the explanation of this
element in Norman Walsh's "DocBook: The Definitive
Guide", but I still don't understand why "...a visual
device for associating annotations with an image,
program listing, or similar figure" would be
associated with a chapter or section element.

Can anyone shed some light on this element?

Thanks,

Rowena

http://tax.yahoo.com

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l