Re: ISO9001 recognition

Subject: Re: ISO9001 recognition
From: "CB Casper" <knowone -at- surfy -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 07:08:05 -0800

Nadine requests info from us with:
> The company that I work for has decided to
> try and get ISO9001 recognition. As I understand
> it, there is an ISO requirement to keep track of
> all review comments for documentation - so you
> can prove that a QC procedure is in place and
> has been followed.

Boil out all the blather from ISO certification
and it comes down to this:

Say what you do.
Do what you say.
Prove it.

Write a simple procedure, follow it, and prove that
you followed it, and that's it. If you write your
procedures to include the requirement for keeping
review copies, then you do. If your procedures say
that you don't, then you don't. Keep your processes
simple, and following them is easy.

Is there really a NEED to keep review copies? or just
a desire to feel good. How often does having a review
copy really help, how often is one really *NEEDED*?
Compare the savings (if any) from having them available,
versus the cost of saving them.

Going for ISO certification is expensive and painful,
but it provides the opportunity to review and simplify
your processes to cut out the stuff that simply adds
time and money activities without adding real value.

CB - who was documenting the building of 15 million
dollar rockets at the time
--
Surfy! http://www.surfy.net Great web search, free web email, and $9.95 unlimited Internet access