Re: Tech writer = office manager?

Subject: Re: Tech writer = office manager?
From: Gene Kim-Eng <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 15:10:38 -0800

My last attempt I opened the package to find that the brake pads were accompanied by a "kit" of parts
and no documentation at all, not even a list of what all the parts were. I ended up dropping the whole
thing off at my local mechanic. It turned out that the OEM of the pads had discontinued the original pad
over the years, and the parts were needed to adapt the current "equivalent" to my car. Of course, my
car's factory service manual said nothing about that, because it had been published when the car was
still being made, and not being a professional mechanic I wasn't subscribed to the auto parts service
that would have provided me with such info. Mind you, this wasn't a part obtained through some pro
service outlet, but at a retail auto parts store. I can't help but wonder how many customers tossed the
kit away and just followed the shop manuals, only to discover that the parts wouldn't fit, or worse, that
they did and their car wouldn't stop anymore.

Gene Kim-Eng

At 05:33 PM 4/3/2003 -0500, Dick Margulis wrote:
Gene, it has been a long time since I took a brake apart; but my recollection is that the brake pads came in a box with a part number and not much else; the shop manual came from a publisher of shop manuals (Chilton IIRC) and covered all components of a given car. It did not come from the parts company.

Purchase RoboHelp X3 in April and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com