RE: Time Writing vs. Time Updating

Subject: RE: Time Writing vs. Time Updating
From: "Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting" <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 13:35:43 -0500

Craig:

I'm really interested in knowing, over the course of a career with a company for example, what percentage of the time the average technical writer spends writing completely new content vs. doing updates and changes to existing content.

When I worked fulltime for a software company, my time broke down the same way the developers' did: about 15% for completely new stuff and 85% revisions and updates to existing material. As a freelancer, it really depends on what companies are willing to outsource. That varies all over the map.

At the moment, I'm doing one web project which involves a complete re-design of the site but no new content, and another web project which includes design, editing and converting existing print content for online use plus developing some new content. My next project (if I beat out the competition <g>) will probably be a straight copyediting job for a newsletter--no new stuff at all. The one after that looks like it will be database conversions and template development.

Like I said, all over the map.
--
Kat Nagel
Owner, MasterWork Consulting Services

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com