Re: Question-How independent is "independent contractor status?"

Subject: Re: Question-How independent is "independent contractor status?"
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 22:51:58 -0600

You're a hired gun. They want your rear end in the chair onsite, that's what you do. It's the golden rule: they gots the gold, they makes the rules.

I've had clients I've never met in person, we did everything by e-mail and phone. I've had others who wanted me in the office everyday. No, you can't work at home, period. I've had others I worked onsite some and at home some, they didn't care as long as I met the deadlines.

Bottom line: unless they're asking you to do something illegal or unethical, they call the shots and you can either abide or leave.

My advice, if you care to take it: Get over it and do it their way.

Jo Byrd

sclarke -at- nucleus -dot- com wrote:

Hi Everyone:

I'm wondering just how literally to take the "independent contractor" status clause in my contract? It's the standard clause stating that have no control over me in any way etc. I just have to produce the work-on time. They've requested that I work on site (project requires close collaboration with co-workers/subject matter experts) and they've indicated preferences in terms of hours of work. That's fine. I see the point. The problem is...I feel I'm getting "mixed messages". This is also happening to a close associate and fellow tech writer...in another area. (Same organization but different dept.)

If I'm an independent contractor...then "must" I conform to their work hours? Do I have the option of working from home? Say maybe one day a week? Or must I clear it with them? My buddy was told she too, is an independent contractor. She started her contract just six weeks ago. Yet when she worked from home the first time...they "mentioned" it to her and seemed to be questioning "why" she wasn't "at work" (i.e. in the office) Apparently they "meant" she could work from...a bit further along in the project but they weren't upfront with her about that.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas? On how to handle this? Anyone had similiar experience?

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com