Re: shortsighted or realistic?

Subject: Re: shortsighted or realistic?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:25:56 -0800

Writer Whirler wrote:

"Online help is a nice feature, but honestly not many people use it. Should you have any questions or problems regarding [Company Name] or would like to help with our web site, please email us at Support@ XXXXXXX.com. We will respond to your message as quickly as possible. Also, please provide us with a phone number where we can reach you during business hours."

What are you responding to? The comment about on-line help, or the apparent attempt to get free work out of people?

If it's the comment about on-line help, I wonder if the company isn't rationalizing its desire to make contact with customers. The logic may be that, if customers call, then they will be more easily retained than if they are referred to on-line help. If so, then that's not a bad idea. So many companies try to reduce tech support that a company that openly encourages it may be refreshing for customers.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Here's to you, whoever you may be,
You who held me up while I was sinking in the sea,
If you were in Kiltartan, and me in Katmandu,
I still would not forget you, and I'd do the same for you."
- OysterBand

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com