Re: Please, advice on writing "product literature"

Subject: Re: Please, advice on writing "product literature"
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 08:51:14 -0700

Kirsten wrote:
>I'd appreciate some advice from you more experienced marcomm writers on
>such things as typical length, content organization, level of detail
>expected - and anything else I need to know before getting started.
>Our company creates warehouse management software, and the official
>readers of the literature will be warehouse managers.

I'd suggest that you peruse the web for other companies offering similar
products/services, and see what kind of marketing info they have. The key
in writing marcomm is to stress not only what your company's products DO,
but what the BENEFIT is in using your company's products.

Marcomm is typically written at a variety of levels, ranging from brief
high-level product descriptions, to slick brochure-style sales pitches, to
technical white papers, and everything in between. Study your target
market and the marketing campaigns of your competitors within your
industry to get an idea what sort of literature would be most effective.

Bottom line: you need *something* - the fact that this company is only now
realizing this is a little scary. But you might be able to turn their
oversight to your advantage, because they will probably need you to write
a LOT of stuff for them. Good luck!

Keith Cronin

Have a nice day. Unless of course you object to me suggesting what sort of
day you should have. I don't mean to tell you what to do. It's really none
of my business. In fact, I now regret saying it. I do hope your day meets
your expectations, but I don't want you to feel pressured by me saying so.
So let's just drop it. Fine.

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com