Re: Uncooperative SMEs

Subject: Re: Uncooperative SMEs
From: GeneK <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 13:13:19 -0800

I can't say that I've ever had that problem. Sometimes SMEs are just too darned busy to be able to spend any
sizable amount of time with a writer, but I don't recall ever encountering one that just didn't want to help out. Of
course, *nobody* wants to spend their time with someone who doesn't display personal intiative, ingenuity or
charm and isn't willing to do a bit of back scratching from time to time...would you?

As far as management "buy-in" is concerned, I've not had much difficulty getting it from engineering department
heads, who usually seem to understand that a complex piece of equipment can't go out the door with a Xerox
copy of some engineer's notes. Upper corporate management is another matter, the only thing that matters
to bean counters residing in offices 3000 miles away from the hands-on developers is, can we bill a customer
for what these people are procucing, and in those instances where Technical Publications has reported to
Product Support, Marketing, or any other areas besides product engineering, getting support for documentation
has always been like pulling teeth even when product managers are screaming for more.

Gene Kim-Eng

At 11:29 AM 3/20/2003 -0800, tgr -at- lanminds -dot- com wrote:

Comrades,

At my company, which shall remain nameless, there is almost no buy-in from department heads on the issue of SME cooperation. In fact, tech writers are expected to be seen but not heard from as much as possible. Everyone is too busy covering their ass to spend time with tech writers or review documentation.

Any success dealing with SMEs must come on the basis of personal initiative, ingenuity, charm, back-scratching and arm-twisting. Does anyone else out there in tech writer land deal with a similar environment? If so, how do you stay productive, get the information you need, get reviews done in a timely fashion, and so forth? Would love to hear your suggestions.

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com