Re: Tooting my own horn...Resume Information

Subject: Re: Tooting my own horn...Resume Information
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 08:20:25 -0500

I, like many others I suppose, have always wondered what's wrong with HR and the
hiring process.

What's wrong with calling randomly? Find out how many candidates you can
reasonably interview, and randomly select resumes until you've found enough
qualified people to fill the available interview slots. Leave the rest of the
pile alone.

If the first round of interviews finds someone who's a possible fit, hire them
and stop dilly-dallying around. Seems that if there is a need for an employee
it's costing the company time, resources, and money until the new employee is
hired.

Too often it seems that the hiring company is looking for that mythical
'perfect' fit when they have in hand hundreds of probably competent workers that
can do the job sufficiently well. After all, at what point does time wasted
looking for the candidate eliminate whatever gain that may have been acheived by
finding the 'perfect' candidate? What's the point in spending a week, let alone
a month or more, on a hiring process when a reasonable candidate could be
trained in a couple of days or a week?

I think many candidates are in the same dream world. That somehow they are
indespensible and it's horrid that the hiring manager doesn't read every last
resume until theiers is founds and they are recognised as the jewel they are.
Reality bites, but I think most jobs can be accomplished quite well by most
qualified candidates.

There is also a paradox in requirements. If the company finally finds that
indespensible perfect candidate, they're probably much more likely to lose them
sooner. Why? Because their skills are at the top required for the position
meaning they can land a plum job elsewhere as soon as the market is better or
will quickly lose interest and go elsewhere to develop their career. Also, the
great candidate will invariably be asked where they see themselves in the
future. But then the answer is misinterprested. Because the company at that
point isn't looking for a go getter who wants to develop, but a stick in the mud
I'll be happy in one place for X-years.

Eric L. Dunn

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com