RE: Eye thing their write

Subject: RE: Eye thing their write
From: "Gary S. Callison" <huey -at- interaccess -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:09:33 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, jb -dot- foster -at- shaw -dot- ca (jbfoster) wrote:
> While I'm at it ... Does everyone on this list know that our addresses
> - on this list - are being grabbed by the spammers. How do I know ...
> well, I have two email addresses (one for personal, and one for
> posting) and I use my personal address only for this list. As long as I
> haven't posted here, I don't get spammed. The next day, after posting
> here, I get a barrage of spam in my mail box. Maybe there is another
> reason I haven't thought of?

Yes. They're scraped from the usenet mirror at bit.listserv.techwr-l.
Dictionary-attacks and usenet scraping are the two main ways that spammers
accumulate new addresses to fling crud at.

--
Huey

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com